Another improvement project done …

We have a long list of improvement projects for our property. Sometimes, however, the project is just too big for us seniors. In fact, just lining everything up is a big enough project for us.

The roof on our shop area was in dire need of repair. Over the years, the shingles on the south-facing side of the addition to the shop had curled up. Every time it rains, pieces of shingle end up in the gutter, plugging the gutter, causing the water to overflow. In addition, the roof was leaking.

Of course, preparation for the shingling occurred partly during the time when my  husband was in the hospital. So, I put on my construction supervisor hat, enlisted some help from one of our sons, and got to work. Thank goodness most of the preliminary work had been done.

First, the dumpster (for the old shingles ) was delivered … Luckily, my husband had ordered that before he got sick. I just needed to be home for the delivery.

Dumpster arriving.jpg

Next, the shingles were delivered and placed on the roof. Again, they had been ordered and I just needed to be there for the delivery.

It was a one-man operation, quite fascinating to watch. After placing the shingles on the roof, the delivery man stacked them along the peak of the roof, ready for the shingler.

Unloading shingles.jpg

My son contacted a separate contractor crew to remove the gutter. They arrived about the same time as the shingler (good timing). The gutter crew will re-install the gutter after the shingling is done. The gutter is one piece, the full length of the addition.

And then the shingling began. It was a bit of a mess but the contractor cleaned up the site every night. It took him three days, mostly working alone, to do the project.

mess.jpg

In the picture below, the felt paper is in place,  after replacing some of the plywood underneath.

002a (1).JPG

And the roof is done – except for painting the new facia (installed by our son) and putting the gutter up again.

017.JPG

019.JPG

So, one improvement project can be crossed off the list (for the most part). On to the next project.

Thanks for reading! I hope you will come back again! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Yes, another shed …

You may remember the arrival of our ‘new’ shed about a year ago. (If not, click HERE.) Well, we decided to get another shed – this one for lawn products, bird seed, etc. and to house a greenhouse area.

We placed the shed where we recently removed part of the box elder tree:

002.JPG

This picture shows the shed unloaded and sitting on the road, waiting to come down our driveway.

009.JPG

It’s fascinating to watch the delivery person buzz around on his little motorized piece of equipment that lifts and turns the structure. In the picture below, he is setting up the building to move it down the driveway.

022.JPG

The building is on the move …

028.JPG

Down the driveway, easily turning it to set it in place. (The rain stopped just in time.)

031.JPG

034.JPG

And here it is, set in place and ready to go …

044.JPG

But wait, we decided to make a few improvements, so shutters where added and the trim around the windows and door were painted white.

020.JPG

024.JPG

We plan to do more painting – most likely the railing – and add some decorative trim. However, a medical event got in the way … after painting, the Mr.had a heart attack, followed by surgery to install two heart stents. (He is doing well.) So,.the next steps may or may not occur yet this year.

Thanks for reading! Hope you’ll come back again.